"All Aboard" for Bowie Station! After the Civil War, Governor Oden Bowie masterminded development of two major railroads from Baltimore to D.C. and Southern Maryland. Huntington City grew at Bowie Junction where the two lines met. In 1882 the city was renamed Bowie to honor the man whose vision brought the railway here.
The Bowie Railway Museum covers a lot of territory. Railway history, railroad equipment, workers, safety and artifacts are interpreted, along with colorful local personalities.
The model train diorama of Bowie Junction is the centerpiece. Framed by an oversized wood crate, the train and its audio narrative take visitors on a journey from Bowie's past to its present.
A piece of the original interlocking device rescued from Hancock, MD's railway tower, is one of the last manual switches used in the USA.
Custom designed two-tiered tracks carry the main graphics enhancing the authentic feel of the station and it's oil-stained baggage room walls. All graphics were produced on eco-responsible recycled PVC.
|Client:||City of Bowie Museums|
|Project:||Huntington Station: Where Bowie Began|