Carlyle House

Nurses, Soldiers, Spies: The Civil War at Carlyle House

 

  • CARLY 1P : Carlyle House is hidden behind this hotel used as a Civil War Hospital from 1861-1865

    Carlyle House is hidden behind this hotel used as a Civil War Hospital from 1861-1865

  • CARLY 2 : Wire-hung interpretive graphics float in historic building to maximize space

    Wire-hung interpretive graphics float in historic building to maximize space

  • CARLY 3n : Mansion House Hotel was twice commandeered as a hospital for Union soldiers

    Mansion House Hotel was twice commandeered as a hospital for Union soldiers

  • CARLY 4s : Interpretive graphics printed on Panda Board, 70% recycled PVC

    Interpretive graphics printed on Panda Board, 70% recycled PVC

  • CARLY 5 : Artifact labels printed on recycled paper and laminated with biodegradable NILAK

    Artifact labels printed on recycled paper and laminated with biodegradable NILAK

Since 1753, Carlyle House has served many key roles in Alexandria, VA's history. The city was torn apart by the Civil War in 1861. "Mansion House Hotel" built on the Carlyle property, and the house itself were commandeered by the Union Army for use as a hospital.

 

This exhibit interprets Civil War life at Carlyle House and the "Mansion House Hospital" – home to brave nurses, bold spies, and battle-weary soldiers until 1865.

 

Floating graphics visually expand the changing exhibit space and keep the white-washed brick and stone walls of the original architecture exposed. Hanging graphics and labels are produced on ecologically repsonsible materials.

 

 

Client: Carlyle House
Project: Nurses, Soldiers, Spies: The Civil War at Carlyle House
Year: 2011